This is for all those who want to pursue the career of a professional freelance writer, as well as for those who think anyone can be a freelance writer (believe me, there are many people who think so).
Being a professional freelance writer requires a lot of talent and hard work. In addition to having a love for the language, a questioning and analytical mind, and a depth of imagination, a freelance writer must possess the following qualities:
1. Ability to write. This is the most important quality of a freelance writer. The ability to write doesn’t only consist of perfect grammar, correct spellings, and a good vocabulary. It is much more than this. It is having the skills to paint images with words, just like a painter does with a brush.
2. Professionalism. Like the name implies, a professional freelance writer must be professional in his/her approach. This means being able to deal with different clients, evaluate their needs, meet their requirements, and present neat and accurate work on time. This is what creates a good image.
3. Organization. Working from home and having flexible hours has its disadvantages, too – one tends to be lax and put things off for later. But a good freelance writer is disciplined – knows how to handle time; keeps a record of projects, documents, meetings, etc.; and meets deadlines.
4. Perseverance. A freelance career has many ups and downs, with periods of no work and rejections. A freelance writer does not give up and is able to look for work in all the right places. He/she is also able to face rejections in good spirit and learn from them.
5. Marketing skills. For a writer, his work is his product. He/she is able to project and market his product well. He/she has the ability to convince the client why he should give preference to his/her product over others.
6. Ability to handle accounts. Knows how to invoice clients, balance accounts receivable, and keep careful records of money earned.
Have I left out anything?