I haven’t been able to post for the past three days and I know it wasn’t right on my part. But no, it wasn’t because I didn’t have anything to write about or was short on ideas. That never happens with me. Or at least it hasn’t happened yet. The reason for not being able to write was that I’ve been extremely busy these past few days. So, despite my wanting to write and post, I just couldn’t. I guess I should organize my time a little better.
Talking of not having anything to write about, or being short on ideas, do you know what it’s known as? Yes, it’s known as the writer’s block. Wikipedia describes writer’s block as being a “phenomenon involving temporary loss of ability to begin or continue writing, usually due to lack of inspiration or creativity”. This simply means that the writer just suddenly stops writing because he/she just doesn’t know what to write. If you look at the definition again, you will see that it says writer’s block is “due to lack of inspiration or creativity”. Now what does inspiration mean? Inspiration is generally defined as a sudden burst of creativity, which may either be spontaneous, or may come from something or someone. If it is to come from somewhere else, then from where? And how?
Sources of inspiration are different for different people. Some of the most common are:
- Reading – Reading fiction or non-fiction, often gives new ideas.
- Traveling – Visiting new places and meeting new people nearly always inspire writers.
- Music – Listening to music makes your mind wander and take you to new ideas.
- Listening to conversations – Quietly listening to people having conversations often gives you interesting pieces of information that can be changed to writing topics.
- Watching people – Just sitting and watching people in busy places is a great source of inspiration.
Like I said earlier, these are just a few of the sources of inspiration. Can you give some more? What are your sources of inspiration?