* I don’t give a damn for a man that can only spell a word one way. ~ Mark Twain
* When our spelling is perfect, it’s invisible. But when it’s flawed, it prompts strong negative associations. ~ Marilyn vos Savant
* A synonym is a word you use when you can’t spell the word you first thought of. ~ Burt Bacharach
* Take care that you never spell a word wrong. Always before you write a word, consider how it is spelled, and, if you do not remember, turn to a dictionary. It produces great praise to a lady to spell well. ~ Thomas Jefferson to his daughter
* Correct spelling, indeed, is one of the arts that are far more esteemed by school ma’ams than by practical men, neck-deep in the heat and agony of the world. ~ Henry Louis Mencken
* … the English alphabet is pure insanity…, It can hardly spell any word in the language with any degree of certainty. ~ Mark Twain
* The English have no respect for their language, and will not teach their children to speak it. They spell it so abominably that no man can teach himself what it sounds like. It is impossible for an Englishman to open his mouth without making some other Englishman hate or despise him. German and Spanish are accessible to foreigners: English is not accessible even to Englishmen. ~ George Bernard Shaw
And here’s a nice one on English spelling – attributed to Oscar Wilde
If GH can stand for P as in Hiccough
If OUGH stands for O as in Dough
If PHTH stands for T as in Phthisis
If EIGH stands for A as in Neighbor
If TTE stands for T as in Gazette
If EAU stands for O as in Plateau
The right way to spell POTATO should be: GHOUGHPHTHEIGHTTEEAU!
What do you have to say of the English spelling?